Sunday, May 30, 2010

What about the Lobster Network?

As a member of the TOS Crew, I've had the opportunity to look at the Lobster Network online. This is a free online service that helps you get the word out to others of items you may have for sale or to let friends know of items you are willing to lend. It then has applications to help you track the items you have lent as well.

You can maintain an inventory of multiple items, along with photos and descriptions of your items. According to the Lobster Network site, they use industry standard security procedures as well, collect a minimum amount of personally identifying information, and do not collect your physical address. They are connected with Amazon Web Services, and we've all heard of and most of us have purchased items through Amazon.

Having said all that, I haven't actually bought, sold, borrowed, or lent anything through Lobster Network. I have explored the website, though. At this point, I don't have a need for this service, but I am not in any way criticizing it. I can see potential for our family's use of it, just not at this time. One thing I do want to point out about its search feature--you can filter your searches to include items up for sale, to be borrowed, wanted, or items for free.

I can see how this could be an appealing option for homeschoolers, since, for the most part, we're always on the lookout for good deals and often have items we could be a blessing to others with by sharing or passing on as a good deal.

As always, use wise internet safety tips, especially since this can concern personal belongings. There is a very helpful, informative video on the Lobster Network site that goes into more detail about how to set up an account and get the most out of what it has to offer. You can learn more at the Lobster Network home page or by clicking here to check out what other TOS Crew members have to say.

By the way, this is my last review as a member of the TOS Crew. I hope my reviews have been helpful to anyone who has read them. From this point on, I want to steer more in the direction I've wanted to go for a while but didn't have time, more into the nitty gritty of homeschooling, the resources we use, the freebies I find, the thoughts and strategies that bring success, and the issues that homeschooling families address as we go against the grain. I want to keep it positive and real. So, until the next post, I hope your days are full and blessed!

1 comment:

  1. So excited to see where the blog will go next! I have many a friend who I've referred over to you, R!

    ReplyDelete