Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Reinforce more than just spelling with SpellQuizzer....

This past week, I've had the opportunity to get to know SpellQuizzer, from TedCo Software. While the name of this product implies it's a spelling tool, it's actually much more versatile than that.

Because of its interactive nature, SpellQuizzer could be used as a review tool in other subjects as well. TedCo Software markets it as both a spelling and vocabulary review tool, but I've found ways to use it across the curriculum.

Just what is SpellQuizzer all about? In a nutshell, you can either record words or phrases for students to listen to and test over, or you can type in phrases for them to read and respond to. Upon finishing a quiz, there is a prompt that allows them to choose to retest over the words or items they miss. When they have successfully answered each one, they receive a round of applause.

When I first saw the SpellQuizzer menu appear, I wondered just how much I'd actually be able to do with it and whether this was something I would actually spend money for. Then, I began to explore it a little and began to see that its effectiveness and value is really in its simplicity.

Within just a few minutes after I downloaded the program, I was able to successfully install a microphone attachment to our computer using the directions provided within SpellQuizzer and had begun to create and record my first list. Actually, my "microphone" is a speakerphone attachment I already had. It did take a few minutes to get the volume just right so that the words were coherent to the listener, but, once again, I was able to refer to the directions within SpellQuizzer for assistance as I worked on this. If you don't have a microphone attachment, you don't have to spend much to get one. Check out these links for microphones at Walmart.com , Best Buy.com, or Amazon. Hey, in listing these sites, I'm not in any way endorsing or recommending any single product--just offering assistance.Oh, this is a good spot to mention that you can personalize the SpellQuizzer sounds for your children or class. In the "edit applications" option, you can adjust the sound settings and choose different sound effects for correct and incorrect answers and completed quizzes. I was surprised at the large number of sound effects to choose from.

After I created my first set of words and their recordings, I quizzed myself several times to test its ease of use. I found SpellQuizzer to be very straightforward and not at all confusing to use.
The labels are very clear, and there is a minimum of steps involved in getting to each quiz, which will be a huge plus for me as our kids are lower elementary. When my expert panel (my six-year-old) tested SpellQuizzer, not only was she able to navigate from quiz to quiz, she had a blast, too.
Another feature of the SpellQuizzer program is that users can share spelling lists with other users through the import and export functions. Whether a homeschooling group or a public school grade of five classes, this can save some time and energy. While we're on the subject of groups, SpellQuizzer does offer a group discount, as well.

As I said above, SpellQuizzer is marketed as a tool to help reinforce both spelling and vocabulary skills, but I took the liberty of branching out a little bit, creating a multiplication facts quiz and a history quiz. Again, my six-year-old handled this without a hitch. Of course, the program remains the same, so you would just explain to your students that "check spelling" would then mean "check answer". SpellQuizzer is obviously sensitive to spelling, so when using it for other subject areas, students would still need to use exact spelling, which is a good thing, in my opinion. After just a few days of using this program, I can also see uses for it in music, geography, history, and phonics, as well as spelling and vocabulary, and I plan to keep brainstorming more!
There is also a help menu, which actually has so far contained the answers to any questions I've had. And, again, it's easy to get to and navigate. In addition to this, there are demo videos on the website, as well as a contact form.

As for our family, cost is a major factor in any school-related purchase. I was that same way as a public school teacher. I want to get the most bang for my buck. After taking a few days to explore, experiment, and consider how it would fit into our school experience around here, I can see the potential for daily use and for use across the curriculum. Not many products with a price tag of $29.95 can live up to that. It will also reduce the amount of paper we use around here simply to write spelling words (and math facts, too). So, here's my final verdict....if you are looking for a tool to aid your students in reviewing spelling and vocabulary, this is an excellent value and resource. To be able to stretch a little further and use it across the curriculum is an added bonus. When cost, user-friendliness, versatility, and the fun factor collide, you've got a great deal in SpellQuizzer! To learn more, head on over to the SpellQuizzer homepage here or the TOS Crew blog here for more reviews of this and other educational products.

1 comment: