Saturday, August 29, 2009

Learn Basic HTML with Web Design for Kids (....and Curious Grownups!)

I'll join the ranks of the other TOS Crew members who admitted the idea of learning html, not to mention learning it in front of our students and children, seemed more than a little bit intimidating. But, like the others, my apprehension in taking the plastic off Web Design for Kids (...and Curious Grownups!) was totally unfounded. In just a few minutes, I was able to create a very basic web page following the instructions presented in the DVD.

Brian Richardson, the middle school computer teacher who facilitates this process, does so at a pace that is not difficult to follow and with the intuition to stop and explain terms and procedures that may be unfamiliar to his students. For example, before even beginning the lessons in writing HTML, he took the time to explain how to create a folder for my new web design files. I had never created a folder on purpose that I remember. And, then, taking baby steps, he led his audience through typing ten lines of HTML code.

This is where I got stuck for a minute or two. I knew I had typed everything just as he had and had rechecked my work to be sure, but I couldn't bring up the same boldly-colored page as the middle school kids on the dvd. As teachers, don't we remind our students to follow ALL the directions? Therein lay my problem...I had missed a direction. Even though I had gone off on my own rabbit trail trying to figure out what I'd done, I was still able to pick right up with the dvd.


Brian guides his students through the following steps in the dvd program (from the dvd cover):

  • basic HTML code for titles, headers, and body of web pages

  • making text move across the screen

  • adding pictures

  • coloring letters and backgrounds

In each section of the dvd, he emphasizes attention to detail and reviews the main points of the previous lessons. With the entire dvd running about an hour and twenty minutes, it can easily be divided into shorter lessons for younger students.

So, who can benefit from Web Design for Kids (...and Curious Grownups!)? I would say anyone with basic keyboarding proficiency, since you really need to be able to type to keep up with him, unless you don't mind pausing the dvd whenever he displays the screen. (And that really isn't too far-fetched if you want to try this at a slower pace for younger students.) His instructions are clear and simple enough for young elementary level students, I think. In the FAQ section of his site, Brian suggests ages 8+. He uses terms that are catchy and visual for kids. Since it's not a curriculum with specified goals, that frees you up to determine your own, or to just see how much you and your students can learn. In utilizing this with my own first and second graders, I plan to just focus on learning the first ten lines of HTML code that he introduces to begin with, and then see how far they can go. As for us parents and teachers, don't be intimidated by the idea of unraveling all those >, <, and abbreviations--you can do it, and even if you don't plan to create your own web pages from scratch, knowledge of basic HTML code will enhance and expand what you can do with blogs, too.

I consider this product an excellent springboard for further computer and technology studies and projects. While there are web sites with similar information available, what makes Web Design for Kids (....and Curious Grownups!) special is the format. Like I said above, Brian Richardson knows how to teach this stuff in a way that regular people can understand. It's a lot like having a computer tech teacher in the living room.

Go over to their website at http://www.webdesignforkids.net/ and check out the sample they offer as well as the testimonials. Right now, Web Design for Kids (....and Curious Grownups!) is on sale, too, marked down to $19.99, from $40. Y'all, here we are at the beginning of another school year, and for many, $19.99 is not easy, even if it is a great deal. As I write these reviews, I am always very aware of the fact that we all are trying to use our dollars in the most productive ways. How about this--if you like what you see on the site, but money is tight, what about going together with a friend to purchase this dvd? Okay, I'm going to throw this out--most of our homeschool coops and resource groups have curriculum and resource libraries--this should be in it. The website also contains information about why he created this dvd, FAQ's, his hopes for helping others through his business, and a page with info about ordering. After checking out Brian's site, whether or not you decide to purchase the dvd, be blessed and motivated by the proof of Brian's pledge to be a blessing with the profits of his business. You can actually see scans of the first checks he made out to five charities. I personally love that that particular page of his site begins with scripture. This guy has got the right idea in his business mission plan.

Whether just curious or wanting to provide quality computer instruction that your students will actually use, Web Design for Kids (....and Curious Grownups!) is truly worth checking out!

--all images in this post taken from http://www.webdesignforkids.net/ .

No comments:

Post a Comment