Tuesday, August 18, 2009

More from Grapevine Studies, the Level 1 New Testament Overview

In addition to reviewing the Level 1 Old Testament Overview, I have also been very fortunate to have the opportunity to review the Level 1 New Testament Overview from Grapevine Studies. And after spending time with this curriculum, I am looking forward to using it in our homeschool as part of our Bible program for our kids. Before digging into my review, I want to state this:

There is absolutely no part of your homeschool curriculum that warrants the examination, prayer, and dedication that the Bible component does. It is the core of not only the homeschool, but the home, and should spill over into all the other subjects in one way or another. Having said that, I encourage you to carefully and prayerfully choose and implement your Bible curriculum, testing each lesson against God's Word. There is no perfect manmade curriculum, but the Word of God is.

The Level 1 New Testament Overview begins with a general review of the events of the Old Testament that lead up to the birth of Christ, with the students using simple symbols and stick figures to illustrate the highlights. The curriculum then takes the students from this point through the years of His ministry, His death, burial, and resurrection, the early years of the church, to the final judgment.

As with the Old Testament Overview, users are encouraged to go through the New Testament Overview at the pace of one lesson per week. Each lesson includes these components:
  • illustration of the main events/points through simple symbols and stick figures

  • lesson review

  • creation of character/event summary card

  • scripture memorization and review of scriptures from previous lessons

  • placement of each lesson within the overall timeline of the New Testament

The teacher's version includes background readings for each lesson, as well as helps in leading the lessons. However, the writer of this curriculum, Dianna Wiebe, encourages the teacher to also customize each lesson. I really appreciate that because that our Bible curriculum should be dynamic and should be fit to the students we see before us. Oh, before I forget, the teacher's version of this actually includes both Level 1 and Level 2, which is a real plus, I think, especially if you're like me and have different ages sitting around the table. You can check out sample pages from the teacher version here.

As the students move through the lessons, the components of each lesson--the art, the color choices, the visualization of the chronology of Bible events, the scripture memorization, and review questions--all work together to reinforce real learning. The art is uncluttered by detail, consisting of simple symbols and stick figures, so the students can focus on the meat of the lessons, rather than on their own artistic abilities. In each lesson, the events of the preceding lessons are reviewed, as well as the scriptures the students have memorized. I love this aspect of this curriculum--that as we move forward, we hold tightly to what has already been learned. I think it's great how the format of this program stresses knowledge in context as the students are repeatedly drawing events in their correct spots in the chronology of the New Testament.

Okay, now I want to address a common and extremely valid point when it comes to Bible curriculum. Those of us who fall under the category of Christian homeschoolers do not agree on every subject--no big surprise there, I know. When I go to choose material for our Bible curriculum, I want resources which do not conflict with my core beliefs. How does this one stack up to that? First, I want to share that the creators state within the curriculum in their statement of faith the following:

"Grapevine Studies is please to be able to provide Bible curriculum to a variety of
denominations. Our unique teacher-directed doctrinal approach provides a platform for each teacher/parent to explain their specific doctrines as they come up with in each lesson."

I am very impressed with their obvious dedication to this. At this point, I have found only two issues which I will be modifying our teaching of. I mention this for two reasons, one being my conscience and the other to demonstrate how this curriculum is adaptible and stresses the teacher's own Bible study. One issue is baptism, which, after my own personal study of the New Testament I believe to be more closely linked to salvation than is expressed in the curriculum. The other is the millenium. Again, our family has different beliefs regarding the chronology of the final times. Is this a criticism of the program? Not at all--partly, my conscience demanded I share that, and also, I want to stress that this curriculum is geared to encourage and take into account the teacher's own Bible study. The authors encourage parents to be in the Word and to customize the curriculum. Isn't that one of the privileges of homeschooling? To be able to share with our children what we find in the Word of God, to guide them to know Him and His Word.

The Level 1 New Testament Overview is a 50-lesson curriculum, and, as stated above, the lessons can be paced to about one per week. Who is this appropriate for? The Grapevine Studies site places this curriculum in the 6-8 year old age range, but I think you can go a little younger or a little older depending on the student. I have found it is easily adaptible to both my 5-year-old emerging reader and my 6-year-old independent reader. Both really get excited about the drawing involved in the Grapevine Studies products, and the material is age-appropriate.

You can find out more about ordering and the different print and ebook formats available to purchase by going to the Grapevine Studies website. Click here to go directly to a list of New Testament Overview options, including Level 1. They offer several levels, so you can choose what best fits your group of students. Since I've been reviewing the Level 1 version, let me share that it's on sale for $20.75 (print, dent and ding version), as you'll see when you click on the link above. By the way, Dianna was very helpful and offered me some useful advice in choosing which level to get for our kids. I really appreciate is that the teacher book contains both Levels 1 and 2, and it's on sale right now, too, for $28.75 for the print dent and ding version. The ebook version is what I have, and it's only $22.95. It's nice to have options! Here's a link to the teacher versions right here. The website has a contact page which you can access here if you have questions about the curriculum or which level to purchase.

You can head on over to the Grapevine Studies website here to check out what they offer and over to the TOS Crew Blog here to find out what others have to say about this and other Grapevine Studies products.

One more thing! Grapevine Studies has very graciously and generously shared this offer with the TOS Crew and our blog readers. You can use the code CREWS to get 30% off all their books until September 15!

No comments:

Post a Comment