Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Introducing Whole Foods Cooking....proudly!



A few months ago, I first reviewed a Sue Gregg recipe, the yogurt pie. Well, over the last few days, we've been mixing and baking and taste testing from Introducing Whole Foods Cooking for Health and Hospitality. What took me so long? Well, for one, each week I would put off veering from my normal purchases out of concern for how much more I would need to spend to try something different.

However, let me begin by sharing how just the opposite has been true. I sat down with the cookbook and a piece of paper and wrote down ingredients for each recipe I chose. I made out a menu for this week, with at least one meal a day coming from the book. Yes, there were several ingredients I don't normally buy or keep on the shelf, but even after buying all I needed, our grocery bill was no more than usual. Once that part was over and had turned out to be painless, I was excited to get started.

On Monday, we tested the seasoned turkey, fruit cole slaw with sweet mayonnaise dressing, and fruit shakes. On Tuesday, we moved on to the tuna bunsteads and 4-vegetable stir fry. Tomorrow, my plan is to make the country creole peas 'n corn, fruit cole slaw with sweet lite dressing, and fresh apple topping to go with the oatmeal surprise, while Thursday's plan includes the baked parmesan chicken and almond coffee cake. This review will be ongoing as the week progresses, but I think it's important to go ahead and start describing our experiences these first two days in order to give each recipe review clarity.

As with the yogurt pie my kids and I made, lunch yesterday was a joint venture. While I seasoned and browned the turkey, I assisted my oldest daughter in measuring and mixing up the fruit cole slaw and sweet mayonnaise dressing. We didn't start working on lunch until around 11 o'clock since we had our morning classes to attend to, but we still had it ready within an hour. Turkey....not long ago, I was still a ground chuck loyalist, but when my husband's cholesterol levels weren't as low as he expected, we eliminated beef from the meals we cook here at home. I'd been buying ground turkey and seasoning it like beef, but the recipe in Introducing Whole Foods Cooking included some ingredients I wouldn't have thought to add which gave it a much more vibrant, meaty flavor that just hinted at being tangy. Very easy but noticeable improvement. We layered the turkey with tortilla chips, cheese, salsa, and sour cream.

Our side was the fruit cole slaw, which allows for personal preference in the fruits you include. We went with a somewhat safe combination for our bunch here, apples, pineapple, and raisins. The dressing has a light, tangy-sweet flavor that went well with our choices and toned down the cabbage flavor. While the meat was a big hit with everyone, the cole slaw seemed to play better to the school age and above crowd at our table. Our youngest doesn't like too many flavors and textures combined and has to warm up to new combinations, so we'll see how he likes it when we make it later this week again.

The basic fruit shake is much like a homemade smoothy but a little richer tasting, I would say. So very easy to make and a healthy dessert to serve. Again, all but our youngest really liked it. I hate to admit that because it really is good, but sometimes these preschoolers just need a little time to get used to things. Sometimes they are just a little more set in their ways than we expect.

On Tuesday, we were especially busy as it was a field trip day, so I went with something that looked particularly easy, the tuna bunsteads and 4-vegetable stir fry. I am so glad I did, because it was both easy and delicious. The tuna bunstead recipe took maybe an hour to make, from the very beginning of prep till it was ready to serve. Forget what you know about those cans of tuna--this was good enough for a main dish and my husband remarked on how filling it was. It just doesn't get much easier than the 4-vegetable stir fry. I have to admit I have been in a rut with my cooking lately..... meat, a side vegetable, a bread, possibly dessert. The vegetables in this recipe just complement each other really well and, while I added no additional salt or pepper, this dish had such a vibrant flavor.

Like I said, tomorrow, I plan to try the country creole peas 'n corn with the oatmeal surprise and fresh apple topping.

So far, what would I say about this cookbook, Introducing Whole Foods Cooking? Here's the facts before my opinions. It's a softcover cookbook with a plastic protective sheet over the cover. Its features include:
  • how we can use food and cooking to connect with others
  • what scriptural applications can be demonstrated through the process of cooking and sharing food (While I have not found anything objectionable as I've read, I also know that only God's Word is infallible, so always test what you learn or read against what scripture says.)
  • recipes that include main dishes, sides, breads, salads, and desserts
  • information concerning shopping for whole foods
  • nutritional information for each recipe as well as suggested menus for weight loss and maintenance
  • explanations about foods we may not be familiar with as well as foods we are ignorant about but still may be using in our cooking
  • an accompanying cd which includes photo instructions for each recipe as well as a semester curriculum and several Bible study components

This cookbook/cd set can be purchased for $17. Now, my impressions and opinions.

  1. The nutritional helps and ingredient information alone are worth that much.
  2. The curriculum is practically a steal and ties in Biblical study with learning to cook with whole foods.
  3. The photo demostrations are what sets this apart for me. I need these as any cookbook can easily get the better of both my confidence and my skills.
  4. As a mom and wife, I appreciate the Greggs' dedication to creating cookbooks with recipes that are nourishing and delicious and affordable. Like I said above, it cost me no more to buy the ingredients these recipes called for than it normally does to buy the same old same old.

Now, if you're just not sure you can afford $17 for a cookbook right now, here's a suggestion. Head over to the Sue Gregg website here. Choose a recipe to test, and read about their story here. Check out the cookbook previews they offer here.

I need to say this. If you just want recipes without a lot of helps and additional information, this is not for you. I have family members who would never look past the actual recipe pages, and that's fine, but that's not what this cookbook is all about. If you buy this cookbook, you are buying more than recipes for dishes. You get all sorts of extras, but you've got to take the time to read and to apply.

As I was telling my husband today, we've been eliminating things from our diet for several years, but I haven't been finding replacements at the same rate, so, to me, trying out these recipes is like a shot in the arm for my cooking skills. If you're needing your own booster or just a new idea, I encourage you to check out Sue Gregg's Introducing Whole Foods Cooking for Health and Hospitality. I'll let you know how the rest of our recipes go!

No comments:

Post a Comment