Wednesday, October 21, 2009

More from Sue Gregg....

Okay, my copy of Introducing Whole Foods Cooking definitely bears the evidence of my enthusiasm in trying out these recipes--comments in the margin and chowder spots on multiple pages. Last week, I posted about the first several recipes I made from this book, and now here's my follow-up report. Since the first post, I've made the black bean chowder, more almond coffee cake, and the country creole peas 'n corn.
Before I describe my experiences with these recipes, I'd like to tell a little more about the cookbook itself. The recipes really only take up a small portion of the book. That is where this book is very unique as a cookbook. It does contain some of the same basic helps a regular cookbook would, but it goes several steps farther, including a section called "Serving and Connecting", which describes how we can beautify our mealtimes and make them a time of authentic communication, sharing, and devotion. And in the "Next Steps" section, information is provided, among other things, on how to provide whole foods meals on a budget and how to revise recipes to make them healthier. You don't buy this cookbook just for recipes--it's a tool to aid you in food and mealtime decisions and practices, regardless of whether your dishes come from this book.
I know I mentioned this in my previous post, but the powerpoint cd is invaluable as well, giving me a visual aid as I read and follow the directions for each recipe.

On to our experiences with these dishes....

Both the country creole peas 'n corn and the black bean chowder made big pots that fed us for three meals, and we're a family of five. Both were homestyle-type main dishes, casual and comforting. The black bean chowder was especially easy and can be made when prep time is limited to a couple of hours. The country creole peas 'n corn involved time for soaking the peas, but once that was done, this one could be made in less than an hour. I followed her suggestion of topping the peas 'n corn with sour cream and then decided it was a great topping for the chowder, too. How did the family like them? My husband and I really liked the peas 'n corn, and our daughters ate it without complaining, but my son just didn't care for it. They are all three more accustomed to their vegetables being separated from other parts of the meal, rather than in a soup or stew form. I think with time that will change as they become more accustomed to it, but for today, that's honestly where we're at. Pretty much the same thing with the chowder, too. My inlaws and my husband and I really liked the texture and the mellow but full taste. I served it with sauteed vegetables and French bread, with the almond coffee cake for dessert. Now, the coffee cake everybody liked!

I do want to point out that the recipes in Introducing Whole Foods Cooking are written in a format that is a little bit different from most standard cookbooks. The ingredients are not listed at the beginning but are rather highlighted as they appear in the recipe. I'm really laid back, so that's not a big deal to me, but it is a little bit different. It does, however, make it imperative that you read through the recipe thoroughly before beginning to make it. I like to do things fast, and I like to be able to make something at the last minute. But with my Sue Gregg cookbooks, it's important and worth it to read carefully and follow the directions.

If you are looking for a great volume of recipes, one after the other, that's not what this is. Introducing Whole Foods Cooking is more about creating cooking habits that can carry over into the preparation of any meal and about sharing ideas and activities to make your table a place of praise and encouragement for all who gather there.

To learn more about Introducing Whole Foods Cooking, from Rich and Sue Gregg, head on over to their site here. That links you to a 38-page preview of the book. Like I've said in my other posts, try out some of the recipes she offers on her site if you're not sure if it's for you.

I know first-hand the challenges and adjustments involved in going from a conventional to whole foods-based diet. It does take more time, and there can be resistance from other family members. But it is so worth it, if you stick with it. This is not an all or nothing deal. Take small steps that you and your family can adapt to. Make meal preparation a family experience. When kids help make a dish, they are prone to be proud to eat it. And forget the notion that healthy or whole has to cost more! I buy very little processed food items and lots of whole foods, as much natural and organic as I can afford, and, honestly, since I just don't allow very many filler foods to be put in our cart, we don't spend any more than a typical American family does on conventional food items.

Back to the book.... look at the preview, test out some of Sue Gregg's recipes on the site, and talk to your spouse before buying the book. And if you do purchase it (it's $17 and comes with the power point cd), be ready to learn more than how to combine and cook ingredients--be ready to make your meal times something really special.

No comments:

Post a Comment